My Top Ten Books
1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – This is by far my all-time favorite novel. I could literally read it every day!
2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – Another one that I could read over and over. I was forced to read it in high school, and I'm so glad. It's full of action and mystery and love—great combo!
3. Animal Farm by George Orwell – This book was so fascinating to me. Right from the start I was hooked, and completely overlooked the fact that the characters were animals, lol.
4. East of Eden by John Steinbeck – This is such an epic tale that swept me in and made me love the characters and the amazing setting Steinbeck displayed. A truly masterful piece of literature.
5. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – This book ripped me open and left me bleeding emotionally. So raw and powerful and heartbreakingly good—everyone should read it!
6. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb – This was another powerful book that left me reeling. It's one of those that takes you on a journey and leaves you different at the end.
And since I write YA, I thought I'd list a few of my faves from the genre!
7. Forget You by Jennifer Echols – This amazing book introduced me to one of my new favorite authors. Echols's writing is so spot-on and perfect that I don't even feel like I'm reading a book. If you've never read her, please do!
8. Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready – Oh man, the things I could say about this book! Smith-Ready has an amazing ability to find the exact words needed to express her thoughts, and to weave a beautiful, powerful story that keeps a reader hooked till the very end—LOVE!
9. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan – Carrie Ryan is another of those authors who manages to find just the right word. Her writing is simply beautiful and her storytelling is a perfect match. This book was fantastic!
10. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer – Okay, now I know people are gonna freak about this book being on my Top Ten List, but let me explain. Regardless of what you may think of Stephenie Meyer's ability to write, you have to admit she's a great storyteller. And this book is the reason I got off my lazy bum and actually pursued becoming published. So naturally it has to be on this list!
--- Wow, Jamie! I love your picks. I agree with you on almost every single one. I am a huge of Jeri Smith Ready's SHADE series and I am happy that made your list. Thank you for sharing!
About Blood Born:
Waking up in a coffin hungry for blood is only the beginning for sixteen-year-old Ava Blue. When Chance Caldon, the hottie who dug her up, tells her that she’s half vampire, Ava’s world really turns upside down.
Half vamp? Ava can’t believe it...she doesn't even know what that means! Not until Aldric, a thousand-year-old vampire, shows up and tells her it’s true--and that he’s the one who turned her. Then Ava truly begins to believe what she is. Now, she has to deal with a sudden and powerful bloodlust, the desire to see Aldric dead, and her growing crush for Chance. Ava knows she's a monster now, she can feel it; and her life is over.
But redemption isn’t lost. Aldric is giving her a chance to regain her humanity. The price? Kill a hundred vampires, or remain a bloodsucker forever.
So Ava sets out to get her life back. But killing vampires begins a battle that could destroy everything she is working toward. In the end, Ava's decisions will forever change her life and the lives of those she loves.
Website † GoodReads † Twitter † Facebook
Jamie Manning is giving away a nice swag pack to one lucky commenter. To enter all you have to do is leave a meaningful comment on this blog post. Make sure to leave an e-mail address we can reach you at if you should win.