Hardcover, 304 pagesPublished August 24th 2010 by Hyperion Book CHISBN1423116364 (ISBN13: 9781423116363)
Dancia Lewis is far from popular. And that's not just because of her average grades or her less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia's mediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a person threatening someone she cares about, things just...happen. Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everything possible to avoid getting close to anyone, belieiving this way she can supress her powers and keep them hidden. But when recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy show up in her living room to offer her a full scholarship, Dancia's days of living under the radar may be over. Only, Delcroix is a school for diplomats' kids and child geniuses--not B students with uncontrollable telekinetic tendencies. So why are they treating Dancia like she's special? Even the hottest guy on campus seems to be going out of his way to make Dancia feel welcome. And then there's her mysterious new friend Jack, who can't stay out of trouble. He suspects something dangerous is going on at the Academy and wants Dancia to help him figure out what. But Dancia isn't convinced. She hopes that maybe the recruiters know more about her "gift" than they're letting on. Maybe they can help her understand how to use it...But not even Dancia could have imagined what awaits her behind the gates of Delcroix Academy.
How can I write this review without giving away anything?
1. Did I like this book? No, I loved it.
2. Did I feel some kind of connection to the characters? Yes! I love Dancia's personality and the way she cares for her grandmother. I loved her relationship with Jack and her friends. Though I would have loved more interaction with Jack.
3. Did I enjoy The Plot? Yes, it was not predictable at all and I loved playing the whole guessing game til the end of the book.
4. Inara Scott's writing? I think she was great at describing things and making you feel what that particular character was going through at that moment. I felt for Jack and Dancia and wish things took a different path for them.
5. Would I recommend this book? Yes. It reminds a little of X-Men. I am a huge fan of X-Men, so this to me is a GREAT THING! I loved how some knew what they were capable of and some had no clue.
I am team Jack. I did not really feel any chemistry between Dancia and Cam. At first I really liked Cam, but as I kept on reading I found myself rooting for Jack. I understand why Cam is the way that he is, but I think Dancia should have trusted Jack more and sided with him.
The only reason I gave this book four stars (and this is just me) and not five stars is because the ending sort of ruined it for me. I love the cliffhanger and CANNOT wait to find out what happens next, but I wished for a different ending.
I hope I didn't give to much away! A GOOD READ! :0)